Thursday, January 6, 2011

Subject Looping

I read a few blogs this past fall on Subject Looping and the idea intrigued me so I tried it out. We have now been "looping" for a couple of months and it is really working out well. Let me try to explain our version of looping for those of you who might be scratching your heads and saying, "huh?".

I have a list (I am a list person. A check the box person. The kind of person who MUST finish the entire curriculum by the end of the year.) of all the subjects for each day of school. We simply work down the list each day. I set a time limit for the day. We homeschool for 3 hours every day. We start promptly at 9:00 am and at 12:00 noon we are done. It doesn't matter where we are at on the list, we simply stop school for the day. The next day we pick up where we left off. In a nutshell that is looping. Here is our loop.

Bible
History
Poetry
Read Alouds
Language Arts
Science
Math
Handwriting
Language and Thinking for Young Children
Extra Curricula

The extra curricula are the subjects that need to be taught only once a week. I have them printed up in my schedule so I know what to do on each day. They include art, physical education, health, music and home ec.

The reason I love "looping" is because at the beginning of the school year, I found myself skipping the extra curricular activities. I just couldn't seem to find the time to get to them so they were the ones that fell by the wayside. Other days, when Chloe would struggle with a concept in Language Arts or Math, we would spend a ton of extra time on that subject but then our day would drag on for an extra couple of hours sometimes. That made for some really long school days. I would then try to make up some of the subjects on Fridays and we would often end up with an 8 hour day of school. Not particularly fun for my five year old girl, nor her mama for that matter.

Looping solved this issue quite nicely. Now we just work our way down the list and wherever we leave off at noon, that is where we pick up the next day. And, for the most part, we can get to everything in a 3 hour period of time.

Here are a couple of websites to better explain looping. On the Company Porch and The Classical Circus are two places I studied the concept of looping this past fall.

So, I am wondering...does anyone else use this method? If so, what does you schedule look like? What do you like about it? dislike?

2 comments:

LadySnow said...

I never heard of looping. Something to keep in mind. I will probably use it with the younger two more than anything. :-)

Anna said...

I think the more children you have, the more beneficial this could become so that things don't get forgotten or left behind. Everyone will get their time with Mama! :)