Friday, January 14, 2011

Nature Diary

One of the things I love about a Charlotte Mason education is the opportunity to utilize a nature diary. I was a bit disappointed for the first 15 weeks of school that Sonlight did not use a nature diary. I think it is important for children to study nature and draw what they see. For them to watch the changes in nature closely enough that they can then draw it. (Thank you Sonlight!)

Well, lo and behold, week 16 of school introduced the nature diary when we began studying seeds. Yay! I made her a diary out of white cardstock and used my cricut to make the letters for the front. It won't last very long but at least she has something for a few weeks until I get her a proper sketch book for science. She has one for doodling, but not one designated for the sole purpose of nature sketches.

Photobucket


I found some seeds around the house for Chloe to touch and study. I was pretty limited in what I had on hand, but she got the idea anyway.

Photobucket


After studying the seeds, we dropped kidney beans into a jar filled with a wet paper towel.

Photobucket


Then Chloe drew what she saw in the jar.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Next week, I think we will be planting the seeds in some soil. I will have Chloe draw it before we transfer it to the pot. It is neat to look at it now through the jar though. We are able to see the roots and today we saw a green shoot starting to grow out of the bean. Chloe loves checking the jar every day to see the progress of the bean. I would never have though to start the bean in a jar so we could see what would otherwise be happening under dirt. It is fascinating for even me.

3 comments:

LadySnow said...

We studied seeds just last week as well. As for the sewing machine...I would highly advise not buying it! My sister-in-law bought it for Elisabeth and I have been polite as possible, but it really is a waste. Just so you know. ;-)

Anna said...

I was actually planning on buying her a cheaper real machine. Like the brother or something like that. She has to show good progression with her hand-sewing first though.

LadySnow said...

Yes, I would recommend a low end real machine ;-)