Friday, April 23, 2010

A Pottery Field Trip

We did take a couple of "educational" trips shortly after James arrived home from Afghanistan. Homeschooling makes it quite nice by being able to call any family vacation a "field trip". We ventured up to Philadelphia for a couple of days and also hit our local aquarium.

Today, however, was our first official field trip since James returned back to work. Its been a while and I have a few more trips I would like to get done before school is over in May. So, we hit two places today because they sort of walk hand in hand with each other. (That, and they were about a mile apart from each other.)

Our first stop was a local clayworks museum.

Photobucket


They have about 13 resident artists and a couple others who they showcase from time to time. According to their website, the big gallery opened at the end of March, but when I showed up, they informed me that tomorrow night is opening night. Oh well, we walked through the resident artists gallery for a few minutes instead. We saw some very beautiful pieces, but Chloe got bored rather quickly. That could be due, in part, to what came next on the agenda.

Photobucket


Oh yes. This was definitely a hit. Chloe couldn't quite decide which piece she wanted to paint and so I narrowed down the options for her by directing her to pieces which didn't require a lot of detail painting. She finally settled on the ballet slipper.

Photobucket

Photobucket


I showed her the art on the walls in their various stages of completion. She seemed quite fascinated with the fact that before they are glazed and fired they are quite dull but when we pick them up next week they will be bright and shiny. She can hardly wait to go pick them up. (I say "them" because we also painted a plate for Grandma while we were there."

Now I am trying to decide where to take her next week for a field trip. I have a few more places in mind for the rest of the year.

- Music store
- Zoo (she hasn't been since she was 18 months)
- Aviation Park (to watch the planes taking off and landing)
- Plant nursery (we are going to make a fairy garden that she will be responsible for)
- children theater
- Opera

Have a blessed day all day long. I will try to keep posting regularly on this blog. I am sorry for the lack of posts lately but we've been adjusting to having James home again. Its been wonderful having him back.

2 comments:

LadySnow said...

My vote is for the zoo! I just say that because I need to get my children there as well. :-)

Anna said...

I am thinking the music store might be easiest for me next week. We have company coming on Wednesday and then we head out of town for the weekend (the wedding is Saturday). I could probably swing the zoo next week though, as long as the weather holds out.