Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Which One?

Okay. I have narrowed our curriculum choices down to two. I can't quite decide which one to pick.

Sonlight
or
My Father's World.

Both look fantastic yet they are completely different. Sonlight carries mostly books, which I love. I own a couple of them already but most of them would make pleasant additions to our bookshelf. My Father's World, on the other hand carries more hand's on things like puzzles and lacing toys and such like things.

I have already purchased many of the four year old read-alouds found on Simply Charlotte Mason. Two of them came in the mail today and we began reading them this morning. Norman the Doorman by Don Freeman and When We Were Young by A.A. Milne.

Why is it so hard to pick a curriculum? I am actually debating buying both, at least for preschool and postponing the decision between the two until kindergarten. I have to be honest with you and mention that I LOVE all the books we would be able to read with Sonlight but I also love all the items for preschool play that we would receive with My Father's World. Has anyone ever combined these two curriculum before? And if so, what were your experiences?

5 comments:

LadySnow said...

You know which one I prefer. ;-) I just love the flexibility of MFW. You could even get the preschool package and the kindergarten. Because you can always do it with Chloe this year and repeat it next year. Sonlight has almost everything laid out for you. They don't leave room really (from what I can tell) for exploration days and such. But I don't know...I have heard people who absolutely LOVE Sonlight. It was just too expensive and rigid for us. It will be interesting to see what you choose.

Anna said...

Well, after talking it over with James, I think we are almost 100% sure we will choose Sonlight. I need something a little more rigid at first since I really have no clue what I am doing. I want something that tells me what to do on what day. Otherwise...in my scatterbrainess, I will forget to even do anything. lol.

Do you know anything about the MFW preschool curriculum? Do they have a booklist with the teacher's guide?

LadySnow said...

With the Charlotte Mason way of learning they don't really push preschool. I believe...that the belief is chidlren learn through everyday experiences. I do have all of the things for the preschool package except for the Treasury Book. I just borrow it from the library. I don't have the booklet because I bought everything individually. I bought a lot from Rainbow Resource. It's sometimes cheaper. You will have to let me know how Sonlight goes for you. :-) Have fun...it's a blast. :-)

Lisa said...

Hi Anna,
This September marks our 10th year homeschooling! Most of them have been with Sonlight. There were a few years that I said, "I can do this...pick and choose my own book list, focusing on Charlotte Mason." But inevitably, half-way through each of those years, I (and my kids)missed Sonlight. I missed the books. You won't be sorry with Sonlight. You can be "box checker" and do every possible thing they suggest, or you can simply use Sonlight loosely. There is plenty of room for flexibility. Some suggestions: get on Sonlight's forum boards. Tons of info. there. Amazing place. Also, try this yahoo group that combines Sonlight with Charlotte Mason: it's called SL-CM Sonlight Charlotte Mason. Enjoy your homeschooling adventure!
Blessings,
Lisa
P.S. Praying for you and the rough couple of days you've had. Hope you feel better soon.

Anna said...

Thanks so much Lisa. I really appreciate the info. I will have to check out those forums. I am so excited to begin this homeschooling process. I can hardly wait to get started.