Monday, August 17, 2009

Lapbooking

My dear friend Melanie planted the idea of lapbooking in my head the other night while we chatted away over the internet. She figured it would be something I would probably be interested in and I have to tell you, she couldn't have been more accurate. It took me a couple hours of google research to finally figure out exactly what a lapbook was and what it was for, but in the end I knew it was for me.

We began our first lapbook Saturday evening while I was scrapbooking. I printed off some pictures for Chloe to color that didn't require much "work" or "teaching" with them so she could sit and color while I worked on my own stuff. We chose to do a lapbook about Corduroy. (the book written by Don Freeman) And before our first lapbook is even complete, I now have ideas for the next 100 books for us to make. Oh goodness gracious, but Melanie was right. I LOVE lapbooking. I even have ideas for lapbooks I want to make myself! Is that weird?

For those of you who don't know what a lapbook is, let me try to explain it in a way that makes sense for me.

A lapbook is like a scrapbook about a topic of your choice made from information you gather when you research your subject.

We have friends heading to Japan for a month long mission trip and so our next lapbook will be on Japan. It will certainly be interesting to learn about the place they are while we are praying for them.

Tomorrow we should be finishing up our Corduroy lapbook and then I will take some pictures of it (and maybe some video) to show you all what it is. So definitely, more information to come about lapbooks!

1 comment:

LadySnow said...

Can't wait to see the finished product. :-)